Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ah, the aftermath...

So, honestly, I'd like to know how people fared this year.
Did you hear back from all the schools to which you applied?
Did you get form letters or more personalized?
Did you get in the university of first choice?  Did you get the advisor you wanted?  How does your future look to be shaping up?

If you've been following, I was accepted to the PhD program of my dreams, after building a fantastical rapport with my advisor.  At the same time, I was also offered permanent employment at the company where I spent my internship last summer.  I chose the job, for a multitude of reasons.

But my advisor wouldn't let me go quite so quickly.
Together we crafted a proposal by which I can continue my job, reviewing data and applying relevant science to build a database, hypothesize, build a test scenario, and deploy said test, reviewing collected data as it becomes available.  In this manner, I can still achieve my PhD in about 7 years (instead of 5), while building my field experience and seniority at my job.  I'll be their home-grown PhD geoscientist, one of many who work there.

And they will pay for it (reimburse tuition each semester).

Where's the bad, right?

I'm pretty stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment